Thursday, August 09, 2012

A Comic A Day # 8 -- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe # 1

Meanwhile, in another He-Man canon . . .

Adam, a simple woodsman, has dreams of being a hero of good and fighting evil enemies.  Every morning, he wakes up to the same reality - his father is a dying, confused old man and Adam himself is a woodsman.   But after a few visits from a falcon who Adam realizes is named Zoar, he comes to terms with the fact that he must act on these dreams.  Leaving his father in the care of a neighbor, Adam leaves the woods.  He encounters Beast-Man, who tells him to return, but Adam scrapes with him and wins!  Beast-Man whimpers back to Skeletor, who wants everyone to know -- Adam must be stopped!

***

This issue is mainly just set-up for the first of the series.  It took me a few reads to enjoy it.  After the greatness of MVC comics in the early 2000s, I had some high expectations for this one.   I think once I got over the drastic changes, it made for a better read.

I'm curious to see how this saga unfolds.  I like that Adam is the central figure, not He-Man.   That this is a heroic quest to become He-Man again, not just an origin.  I like that Skeletor is clearly in charge.  There's a lot to like.

I'm not the biggest Phillip Tan fan, but the art isn't that bad.  Beast-Man looks different, but a far less departure than the '87 movie.   Skeletor is imposing.  Adam is scrawny, which I really like.   He looks like just a woodsman.  Nice and simple.

Eternia doesn't exactly pop for me.  The backgrounds lack the exotic texture of Eternia from all of its previous incarnations and I hope that changes.

Overall, not a bad start at all.

No comments: