Thursday, August 02, 2012

A Comic A Day # 2 -- Avengers # 28 (Volume Three)

I've actually been doing a full on review of Avengers Volume Three over at Avengers Assembled! boards, so if you're interested in my thoughts on those issues leading up to this one, you may want to give it a look.  The thread is here.

Avengers # 28 (Volume Three)

The Avengers do some PR work by smashing down some crappy old buildings in favor of a new, beautiful civic center.   They return to the Mansion to find that Silverclaw has received warning of an ancient prophecy in her homeland is about to come true.   The Avengers decide to accompany her to Costa Verde, but find that her small village has been replaced by a beautiful, ancient city.  The Avengers investigate and realize that reality has changed within the city walls.  Kulan Gath then manifests and warns them to go away.

***

Despite some strong moments, this issue really disappointed.   Silverclaw gets a full origin, which I liked.  I also enjoyed the PR work the Avengers did in the opening pages.

But just about everything else bothered me.  Kulan Gath's little world just reminds me too much of Morgan LeFaye's from issues 1-3.   The comments by Triathilon, who I liked a lot, seem very forced and out of place.   They just don't fit.

Here's hoping the next two parts of this story are better . . .


No comments: