Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Uncanny Return

Those few that follow this blog should be interested in this bit of news -- the actual Uncanny X-Periment will be returning very shortly!

Basically, after the January 2008 release of "Messiah Complex," the X-Periment slowly began to come to a halt.  A lot of this had to do with needing to keep to up with current books.  As you can imagine, getting stories into chronological order as they're being released is very difficult.  Plus, family and financial demands had slowed my ability to get anything done.

So that being said, I feel I'm in a place where I can start up-dating again.   I still have some back-issue catching up to do, but my goal is to be done at AvsX by the end of the year.   I know this seems awfully silly, but I'm the sole provider for a family of four and I need to make sure that my money is going to my family first.   December 2013 seems like a solid goal for this.

Now, I want to lay down some ground rules.  First and foremost, some clarification.   In the beginning, the Uncanny X-Periment's goal was to focus only on the core X-Men titles -- Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, X-Men (Legacy/New), and X-Treme X-Men (Volume One).  We would go and focus on the spin-off titles only when it's a critical story and/or would lead into or affect the core X-Men narrative.  A good example of this is the ramp-up to "Operation: Zero Tolerance."  Because of Jubilee getting kidnapped by Bastian and playing a semi-large role in the crossover, it was important to include issues of Generation X. 

Things have certainly changed in the past few years, as using the name "X-Men" to just about any X-related title seems to be the current trend.   I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all; it's just that we need to kinda determine which ones I'm  going to stick with and which I'm not.

To that end, here's what will be focused on, pre-AvsX:

- Wolverine and the X-Men
- Uncanny X-Men

Uncanny X-Force, X-Men Legacy, Astonishing X-Men, and, uh, other X-Men will receive some of the spotlight.   But these titles will mostly be regulated to the aforementioned, "spin-off" status that the actual spin-offs occupied before.  Don't worry -- key stories such as "The Dark Angel Saga" and "Age of X" will still be covered.  Just not every story will be covered.  This is mainly due to financial reasons, but also because I don't want to go insane from having to figure out how these all fit into the overall chronological narrative.

So, post-AvsX and NOW! titles will (tenatively) include:

- Wolverine and the X-Men
- Uncanny X-Men
- All-New X-Men
- Uncanny Avengers

Astonishing X-Men, X-Men Legacy,  X-Treme X-Men (Volume 2), Cable and X-Force, and Uncanny X-Force will not be included, unless we come across a critical event or storyline.  I will probably pick up some of the trades or back issues as time progresses, but we'll see.  This is another reason why I'm sticking with just getting to AvsX this year.  X-Men X-Men (the all girl team) hasn't come yet, but I haven't made up my mind about it.

My logic behind just picking those four title is pretty clear: Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and All-New X-Men focuses on the central X-Men team(s) and continues the core narrative of the X-Men's universe.   Uncanny Avengers is a pretty cool experiment unto itself - I like the idea of Xavier's dream in practice.  It feels like the "big story" title, which the biggest and hottest Marvel stories will be told.  It should be interesting.

With all this being  said, it's important to note that there will be, eventually, I hope, non-X-Periment X-Men posts made here.  Possibly.  If I have the time.

Suggestions, arguments, disagreements, complaints, thoughts, theories, criticisms, please feel free to share!

No comments: